Teen Science Cafe
Are you a motivated afterschool site director, specialist, or facilitator already working with teens ages 12-18? Do you believe teens should have access to engineering programming and role models outside of school? Do you serve teens who are underrepresented in STEM careers? Are you interested in leading monthly STEM focused meetings with teens? Are you interested in collaborating with scientists and engineers in your community?
Then apply to be a Teen Science Cafe Moonshot Leader today!
Bring Teen Science Cafés to teens ages 12-18 in your community. Support 20 or more teens throughout the 2022-2023 Teen Science Cafe (TSC) program year and help them become Teen Leaders and innovators in their community. No experience in STEM is required.
Selected TSC Moonshot Leaders will receive $2,000 stipends to run the 2022-2023 Teen Science Cafe program.
Motivated afterschool site directors, specialists, or facilitators already working with teens ages 12-18.
Roles and Responsibilities of Moonshot TSA Leaders
- Attend orientation and training for leaders on how to facilitate a Teen Science Cafe, engineering mindset, and equity and inclusion
- Recruit 20 teens, ages 12-18, to participate in TSC programming
- Run at least 5 TSC with teen participants and scientists and/or engineers
- Cafés are typically an hour and a half in length once per month during the school year (January – May 2023). During a teen science cafe session, teens socialize over teen-friendly food and drink, have a lively conversation with a local scientist and/or engineer, and participate in a hands-on activity related to the scientist and/engineers field. Cafes can take place within an after school program, library, community center, community college, museum, or any indoor or outdoor space where the public gathers.
- Disseminate Common Instrument Suite survey to teens at the conclusion of the final TSC
- Participate in 4 community of practice virtual meetings with other TSC Leaders from around the country to support implementation
- Participate in final culminating event
Benefits to Moonshot TSC Leaders
- Exclusive 6-hour training on how to run a Teen Science Cafe, engineering mindset, and equity and inclusion
- Community of Practice meetings with TSC Leaders throughout the country
- Teen Science Cafe staff support throughout the season
- Online Teen Science Cafe Network resource page with templates, guides, and much more
Apply by September 30th